Monday, April 11, 2011

Pytash- Classics Chapter 6


This chapter started out “promising,” saying that education is the only profession “that eats its young” (95). This did not make me very confident. What I learned, though, is that teachers need to learn from each other. I really like that Jago said that it is okay to take good lessons from other educators. This made me a lot more confident.

I really like the detail in which she described how she teaches The Odyssey. I think that giving background information of the type of story students will be reading and the time in which it takes place is extremely important. I also like the visuals Jago gave them while reading. I always hated trying to keep track of long lists of characters and their relationships and the places they traveled. Giving the students charts of characters and maps to show the setting is really helpful. This way they have one less thing they have to worry about understanding. In tenth grade, I had a teacher that actually let us bring in pictures of actors to represent the difference characters.  She hung them on the bulletin board so that we could refer to them. This helped a lot of students to picture the characters.

A lot of Jago’s lessons involved interactive activities for the students and I really liked them. One that I thought was cool was when she let them experiment with the language used by the author. This helped the students to become more comfortable with the difficult language. I also liked the idea of assigning groups of students to dissect different epic similes. I think the more comfortable the students are with things like this the easier it will be for them to understand and enjoy the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment