Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pytash- Canonical Wiki Reflection: 1984


Making this Wiki was extremely frustrating. The site was very buggy, so it was hard to adjust the format and make everything work. Also, finding 20 different lesson plans was tough. There were so many times that I thought I had found a great website for lesson plans, and I had to pay to get on it. I don’t think this is right. Reading Jago made me realize that teachers should be more open with their lesson plans and that we should all get ideas from each other.

Other than those two difficulties, I really think that I learned a lot from this project. The lessons I found would be fun and engaging for a large number of students. They aren’t just discussions and papers. Some are projects involve the internet, interactive role-playing, or projects involving art and creativity. I was discussing some of the lesson plans I had found with a friend who is a senior in high school and he said, “Why can’t our teachers find fun ways like those to teach the novels we read.” This made me really happy and I realized that there might be ways to get students into books that they may not necessarily want to read. The lessons that I picked can also easily be paired with the Ohio education standards and they are very diverse.

I learned a lot about my book while doing this as well. I learned about the climate of the world when Orwell wrote the novel. I also learned about a lot of things that are going on today that fit with what Orwell wrote about in 1984.

One thing that I learned about teaching this text is that it doesn’t have to be dry and boring. Some of the lessons I picked out I would even like to do because they sounded fun and educational. I am really excited because my cooperating teacher at the school I am student teaching at told me to think about some books that I would like to teach. I will definitely recommend 1984 now that I have all of these great ideas.  I really think that they would engage students and make them appreciate the novel more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment