Thursday, April 28, 2011

Foot: Romeo and Juliet





After talking about Romeo and Juliet in Dr. Pytash's class on Tuesday and hearing multiple references to the 1996 modernized film version of the play, I decided to watch it on Netflix. I did this for two main reasons. The first reason was because I was intrigued to see if it would be something I could use in my future class. The second reason (and possibly more importantly) was because Leonardo DiCaprio is in it, and he is pretty much really hot. 

As soon as the movie started, I was surprised to hear the Elizabethan English being used in this modernized version of the play. At first it seemed very out of place for the time period the movie was taking place in, and I was sure that they would revert to the more modern English at any moment. When they didn't, I was very surprised. As I watched the film, I saw how pairing the Shakespearian language with the modernized story really helped to understand the language used in the original play. I think that this is something that could really be used in a high school English classroom because it can help students get a better grasp on the language.

I also think it was good to use the original language because it lets students see that Shakespeare really is universal. He is not an old dead guy whose literature doesn't mean anything anymore. Even with the modernized setting, his original words still made sense. I think this shows that his literature is still relatable to today's audience, and students will really benefit from realizing this. 


After watching this, I think that I will use this film in my classroom. When I was in high school, my teacher used the old version that is set in Elizabethan times. I did not enjoy this version when I was in high school because, although it added a visual to the confusing language of the play, it was still not something I could relate to. By setting it in a modern time, the newer movie gives students a view of the play that they can relate to. It is also very fast-paced and at times funny, so it is something that they are used to. 

5 comments:

  1. I think it is easier to understand any movie with actors that are recognizable. Especially with Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this movie because they didn't take out the Elizabethian language. Because of this movie, and the multiple times I've watched it, I can say with great authority I have Romeo and Juliet almost memorized. This is a great use of multi-modals because students can relate to the actors and the language. This shows that Shakespeare is timeless and completely authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in high school, my teacher had us watch this version of the film and the Zefferelli film. I think this would be a great way to incorporate film study into the classroom and to compare and contrast the two films along with the text.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually hate this movie because of the Elizabethian language. While there are pros and cons to both, I think it makes the movie daunting and heavy. Very hard to pay attention to if you're not a shakespeare fanatic. I dont' think students would get anything from it besides a few class periods of sleep.

    Good movie for people like us who can enjoy/appreciate it, but I would never show it in my classroom because I wouldnt' want to waste my time or my student's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this debate! I am all for the Elizabethian language and I don't think we should underestimate our future students by assuming they won't be able to understand it! However, I think the key to not having them all fall asleep like Mat said, is to prepare them for the language ahead of time, So that they are not surprised or confused. Also, you could pair it with a project to keep them focused while watching.

    ReplyDelete