Friday, March 4, 2011

Foot- Video Games in the Classroom









This article was extremely interesting. Although it seemed strange at first glance, I can see some major benefits to having a school mentally centered around a video game. One reason relates back to what Dr. Kist talked about in his book. Both he and the founders of Quest to Learn acknowledge the fact that schools are lacking in technology in general. In a world where technology dominates our student's out-of-school lives, why is it almost nonexistent in schools? I think that the Quest to Learn school recognizes this fact and wants to make school relate more to the students lives in the Web 2.0 world.

Another good thing about this school is that it seems very challenge-based. Students are using critical thinking skills to make and create games and other multi-modal things that will help them in their lives. Quest to Learn also seems to combine different subject areas in the student's classroom. They learn how things can be interdisciplinary. This will help them make connections that they would not be able to otherwise and help them in real life situations.

One thing I did not like about this school was the extreme way in which they used technology. I think it is important to remember that while technology is becoming increasingly important, it is not all there is out there. One quote in the article really upset me:

"Why memorize the 50 states and their capitals? Why, in the age of Google and pocket computers, memorize anything?"

How can they say this? Should we rely on technology alone for knowledge. I think it is very wrong to think this way. What if, God forbid, a student didn't have access to technology? How would they gain information. I often think of what a mess I would be in if I were in need of help from a friend or family member and my phone was dead or not there. Because I have become so dependent on my cellphone where all I have to do is push one button to call anyone, I don't know anyone's phone number. This would be the same way with basic information if we neglect teaching it because we have technology to rely on.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the video you included in this blog posting. I also really agree with your response to the quote you included. Even though I recognize how dependent I am on technology, like my cell phone, I still feel that I like the traditional idea of school more, personally. Something that bothered me was when the author said, "Then he went back to podcasting, saying that after a student has written, revised, scripted and recorded a podcast, 'it’s just as valid as writing an essay.'" I can't describe it but there is just SOMETHING about writing an essay that is so, I can't even think of the word, hardwired into me, that I would have a hard time accepting a podcast instead of an essay.

    ReplyDelete