Thursday, March 10, 2011

Foot- the Economy of Film

The things I read in Chapter 5 of Great Films didn't surprise me one bit. I think that today we see this mix of film as art and film as economy all the time. A movies production costs and earnings at the box office are things we talk about frequently. Our society is not in the dark about the millions and millions of dollars spent on movies. We are also very aware of the merchandise that accompanies said movies. These are things we have come to expect from movies.

In our recent past we have seen one major effect of film being a largely economic industry: the writers strike. In 2007, the Writers Guild of America went on strike because they believed that they were not being paid enough for the amount of money the film industry was making (sound familiar... charlie sheen *cough* *cough*) This is obviously an issue that deals with the economics of Hollywood. This chapter reminded me of this and made me realize how controlling the economic side of film really is.

I really liked how this chapter mention independent films as well. I have not seen a lot of independent films, but reading a little about them got me excited for the film festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment