Friday, January 21, 2011

Foot: Little Brother

I started reading Little Brother and I am about 8 chapters in. I must say that this book is extremely interesting. The excitement of it keeps me reading, and I am not as lost as I thought I would be when I first started the book.

As I have read this, I have come to the conclusion that this is a great book to introduce to kids who don't like to read, especially boys. There seems to be less young adult books that target boys, but this definitely does. I think it would keep boys that are into technology and gaming interested and get them to read a book (seeing as this is one group of people that I don't see reading a lot). The book mentions a lot of things that these types of people could relate to and enjoy such as manga, video games, operating systems, etc. It does this while exploring facts that they may not be aware of, but would find interesting. (I for one learned that grapes in the microwave create plasma. After Marcus mentioned it, I Googled it. It turned out to be very interesting.)

Because this book deals with so much technology, it would be a great book to use in a classroom that includes multi-modal lessons and ideas. It also raises awareness of the good and bad sides to technology. In the book, Marcus sees how the technology that he has come to love can be used against him to monitor and track his every move. I think that these issues could be brought up in class and students would be very interested in discussing this.

So far I think that this book is really good and I can't wait to read the rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment