Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Chapter 7: Constructing Meaning

Chapter 7 gave some great examples of how I can, as a teacher, help kids while they are reading. One of my favorite examples was the strategy of rereading. The example with Mr. Bell telling his students to reread the chapter 3 times surprised me at first, but it turned out to be a great way to show students how much more they can get out of reading the second and third time around. One thing I would be sure to tell my students after they have done this and see its value is when to do this. Obviously they don't need to reread each chapter three times every night. They need to know, now that they see that rereading helps, when are appropriate times to use this strategy. I was thinking this after I got done with the story about Mr. Bell's classroom, and I was surprised to find out that I was completely correct in my thinking. About 4 pages later, figure 7.5 shows just that. It shows a student's list of when she needs to reread. I think this is a terrific idea to help kids see the practical uses of rereading after they learn that it is important.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Rereading was one of the most interesting suggestions Beers has given so far. I never thought about how much more I could get out of a work the second time around. I never really put together the fact that I read pleasure novels twice and three times and I see something I missed every time. Why wouldn't the same be true for required reading? I think if I used this in my classroom we would put together a list of the things the students noticed and took from the work the first time around, so they can look for different things the second time.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about how rereading can have great benefits for students. I ahave lawys done rereading when I get stummpted in a text, and to teach a students the self-reliant technique of sitting there and rereading untill they break down the text into comprehendable bites is tahcing students and invaluable skill. But rereading isnt something a teacher uses in the classroom it is a reading technique that teachers should show their students how to use while reading theri homework. I also agree with you on how rereading is great for independent readers becasue of how much one can pick up after the intial reading of a book.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that for me, if I was assigned to re-read a chapter 3 times I would be annoyed. The example given really showed what this strategy could do. Students not only will understand more but maybe they would become more interested. I liked the point you made that students shouldn't always be re-reading, but learn when to and how to apply it.

    ReplyDelete