Monday, September 27, 2010

Chapter 5: Learning to Make an Inference

While reading chapter 5, I was once again struck with how easily it has been for me to read and how much I struggle to understand how a student in high school would have a hard time making inferences. The difference made between the two classroom studies amazed me. There was such a difference between the class that was having an in depth discussion about the passage and class that could not make any sense of it.

One thing I enjoyed about this chapter was the section that gave us ideas about how to help students make inferences. I loved the idea of taking a few minutes and reading a passage from a book and discussing how to use inferences in that situation. For those teachers that worry about teaching how to read taking up too much time, this is perfect. Just a few minutes each day will help kids understand how to make inferences.

I also liked the idea of bringing comics, signs, and bumper stickers into class and making inferences about them. This could help students connect this reading strategy to real life. It would be a fun mini-lesson to have.

1 comment:

  1. Good points... I agree, the bumper sticker idea is a great way to connect students' learning to "real-life."

    ReplyDelete