Friday, September 10, 2010

Chapter 2: Creating Independent Readers

The first thing that stood out to me in this chapter was the statement that anyone can be a struggling reader. As I thought about this, I knew that it was true. I have been a struggling reader at times, even though I love to read and do it often. Sometimes I may struggle through a book that was written a long time ago and I don't understand the language used, or I may struggle through a textbook. What separates someone like me from students that "can't read" is that I am an independent reader. Until reading this chapter, I never realized everything that I do when I read that helps me when I struggle. As I looked at the image on page 16 of our book, I was shocked to think that some students don't use these strategies. They have come so naturally to me that I was unaware that some kids don't even know how to use them.

This chapter really helped me to understand why kids "can't read." Up until the beginning of this class I had not thought about having high school students in my class that have difficulties with this. I now know that I will have to be on the look out for this in my class and that it is my responsibility to help them.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, am an independent reader and I'm so glad I'm reading this book--I didn't realize that those processes don't come naturally to everyone, either. I've only really helped small children read and, at that point, it is mainly helping them through the words and not as much comprehension. Having those tips and strategies on teaching comprehension has helped me a lot in understanding how students can struggle.

    -Ashley Shaheen

    ReplyDelete