Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pytash- Classics Chapter #1

This book seems to be a total 180 degree flip from what I am used to. It seems that last semester the main focus was on young adult literature. I am glad to see that we will be dealing with more classic texts this semester. While I do love YA novels, I am under no impression that I will only teaching them in my classroom. Classic literature is much more prevalent in schools. This has always made me nervous because I feel as though I am not as familiar with these texts.

I found Jago's argument that students' reading lives need to include two kinds of books very true. On page 5 in chapter one she explains this. The first type of text acts as a mirror, aka YA novels and books that students can easily relate to. She says, "apart from a lively book talk to interest them in picking up the volume, teenagers shouldn't need a teachers help with 'mirror' books."She understands the purpose they have in the students' reading lives, but believes that teachers shouldn't spend their time necessarily teaching these books. I think that this could mean that we encourage them to read these books, but not have weeks devoted to dissecting them. In my opinion, YA novels could be used as individual projects and reports throughout the year to get them reading on their own

Jago says that other than these "mirror" texts, students also need books that act as windows. Classic texts do this. They show a world that the students are not necessarily aware of. With these books, the teacher must help the students to understand. Hence the reason these books should be the main focus of our classrooms.

2 comments:

  1. I think that current and classic literature are both important. Although we haven't done the project yet, I have to say that I am very excited for the pairing of both young adult and canonical texts that we will be doing at the end of the semester. I think this would be a good approach to teaching for us to remember in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is definitely a shift from last semester. I would like for you to think about what you learned/read last semester and see a different opinion (with Jago's text) - then decide what you believe about teaching literature :)

    ReplyDelete