Friday, February 18, 2011

Foot- Twilight and the Internet


After reading "Web Gave 'Twilight' Fresh Blood", I can see the importance the Internet has at this point in time on advertising and marketing. I think that it was really smart of Meyer to take advantage of the Internet in gaining a following for her books. When I was getting into the Twilight series in high school, I was on her site that the article talks about. This was a great idea on her part. It provided a way for readers to keep up on when the books came out and what the author was up to. The article says that Meyers "directly engaged with her readers. When fans posted messages, Meyer's response was personal. She'd write back or blog about it" (Carpenter).

We as teachers also need to be looking for ways to "sell" what we are teaching in this digital age. The fact that Meyers was able to promote her book so much online shows that the young adults that we are going to teach are online. We need to accept this and realize that if we are going to keep their interests we may need to get online with our teaching as well.

As a side note:
Though I do love the Twilight books, these quotes from the Vampire Diaires made me smile:

Damon: What's so special about this Bella girl? Edward's so whipped.

AND

Caroline: How come you don't sparkle?
Damon: Cause I live in the real world where vampires burn in the sun.

Love it!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the Internet is becoming a necessary teaching tool in this highly advanced technological age. It's exciting and a little scary too, but I'm sure trial and error will produce great results in our classroom!

    I'm not into True Blood or really Twilight for that matter, but I love these quotes! They totally cracked me up =)

    ReplyDelete